WOO HOO!

I started this blog to get to know other gardeners and track my own garden's progrss. It is a wonderful way to honor the stewardship I have over my plot of ground I have been blessed with. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Paving the Greenhouse and Canning

Linking up to  Fertilizer Friday!
We have been canning   beans from our veggie garden.   So far we have done about  100 pints of green beans.   We still have peaches, tomatoes, jellies and jams, applesaucem plums, apricots and corn to do.


Our darling son was home for Labor Day weekend and helped me put pavers in the greenhouse:




I have been studying tricks to keep the greenhouse warmer in the winter.  A few things I have found:
1  -Pavers  help warm the greenhouse into the night because the absorb the heat during  the day and hold it into the evening hours.
2 - Pop bottles  filled with water and hung   absorb t he heat of the day and help extend that warmth
3 - Milk bottles filled with water and placed around the base on the inside do the same thing.
4 - Mini hoop houses within the  greenhouse help  hold heat in a specific  crop.
5 -Christmas lights turned on and a blanket over the top help   keep a crop warm.
6 -  My own idea - use  Christmas lights under a mini hoop house and then add a blanket to that. I will let you know how it works!
 Thanks for stopping by! 
Temps holding at 41* at night - yippee!
Today I am thankful for that!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
p.s. please stop by my Fall Blog Room - would love to have you visit!


5 comments:

Tootsie said...

OMG!!! this is so exciting!!! I am so happy for you getting such a great space!!!
since the summer is winding down here in Alberta, it will be nice to be able to see all the flaunts both past and present from all those who get to garden year round. I made FF open to photos from past gardens for those who are in climates that stink on ice like mine! lol
Thank you so much for linking in this week...and for flaunting with me. I look forward to many more flaunts from you!
Friday's Flaunts are a privelage for me to host. I love getting to be inspired by some of the most wonderful gardeners I have ever had the privelage of "knowing"
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

Betty said...

Wow Paula you have learned a lot already about how to keep the greenhouse warmer in the winter. I love the gift of research and love of learning that you have and share. Betty

Betty said...

I just have to let you know how amazing your landscaping is! The flowers are so delightful!
I love that area where your barbeque is. The grass growing through the stones give such an inviting sight. I am a fellow gardening lover as well as a follower of our Savior. Betty
my blog:
gardeningjoy4thesoul.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great job on paving your greenhouse. I would also recommend you check out some greenhouse heaters to keep your greenhouse warmer during the winter. There are a lot of different options and I'm sure you can find one that fits your budget and your greenhouse's needs.

Alice Wonder said...

Very nice post.I love your green house.lovely flowers.
Bagasse Dryer

Click on OLDER POSTS to see more gardening posts